Wednesday 4 April 2012

No action against Meghalaya MLA

Bruised and battered journalist Walton Lyton, moments after he was assaulted by a Meghalaya MLA, Founder Strong Cajee. All because this picture of the MLA caught napping in the assembly was published. Walton Lyton, assaulted Journalist, said, He just came. I don't remember. He just came punched me, beating me. I fell down. When I fell down I try to turn, then he beat me again. Then kicked me or so badly injured. Then I was you know I was shocked. How a MLA doing that? While Walton landed in hospital the MLA has gone scot free.

Political parties have expressed solidarity with the assaulted journalist but have left the action against the MLA to the Speaker's discretion. Debora C Marak, President of Meghalaya PCC, said, Because it has happened in the House, inside the Assembly so whatever action they have to take they will take from the Assembly side. It is completely under the control of the speaker right now. Dr W Kharlukhi, President (Meghalaya), NCP, said, We feel that he is in the wrong. Nobody should spare. No one is above the law be he an MLA, a chief minister. We all citizen of India, nobody is above the law and no one should be allowed.


But the Speaker giving no firm assurance, Charles Pyngrope, Speaker Meghalaya Assembly, said, As the Speaker I have requested the parties to sort this out amicably and he has apologised like I mentioned earlier but since the FIRs are still there. The police will have to take its investigation to the logical conclusion. The assault on this journalist prompting the Press Council of India to demand action but nothing of the sort has come about.

No comments:

Post a Comment